What's a Traffic Signal Technician?
Traffic signals just don't appear out of nowhere. Someone has to build and maintain them. That someone is a traffic signal technician, a member of the electrical construction industry who possesses the skills and knowledge to do everything from erecting structures to developing special circuits and/or sequencers to enhance signal operations, installing control devices to working with computerized communication cables. Your work may also include installing street and highway lighting including lights under and over bridges, lights on the sign structures and the high mast towers around many intersections.
Your job as a traffic signal technician is vitally important because the safety of drivers and pedestrians is dependent on the work you do. As a result you will be well-compensated for your training and the ongoing work you will do as a traffic signal technician.
In order to acquire the necessary skills of the trade, the traffic signal technical apprentice shall be provided with employment in the following categories:
- Set up and use of cones, barricades, flashers, signs and related devices to control and maintain traffic flow
Equipment and Tools
- Understand the proper use and care of tools and equipment, including trenchers, diggers, backhoes, air compressors, trucks, loaders, hand and power tools and meters and test equipment
Foundation and Conduit
- Install foundations and bases for cabinets and poles
- Learn concrete work and loop sawing
- Gain experience with trenching, boring, utility location, and conduit installation
- Install and align poles, mast arms, signal heads, highway lighting equipment, signs, switches, controllers and related equipment
- Set up programming of controllers
- Wire and cable pulling for electrical and communication applications
- Splicing, coding, and grounding of conductors
- Wiring of signal heads, luminaries, cabinets, etc.
- Install span wire, down guys, etc.
- Plan and layout work from print, diagrams or staking sheets
- General maintenance and repair of existing systems
- Repairs and installation of temporary systems and components
for Apprentice/Students, Instructors, Subcommittee and Board MembersForgot User ID/Password?